It is Dravid’s birthday today. And on this special day India dug in to draw the test match quite spectacularly. Pujara was rock solid with his effort staying at the crease for a long period. At the other end there was Pant who changed the course of the match with his spectacular 97. After they both left Ashwin and Vihari dug in to battle it out for one of the greatest draws in the history of test cricket. The fact that we were a depleted team with injuries made this draw more special. Vihari couldn’t even run but he batted for his life.
Let’s look at some of the interesting stats from the match.
1. Rishabh Pant is the first Indian Wicket keeper batsman to score 500 runs in Australia.
2. Cheteswar Pujara crossed the 6000 run milestone during his great survival knock today.
3. For the first time in the last 50 years an Indian opening pair scored 50 plus runs partnership in both the innings of the test match in Australia.
4. Out of the 4 highest scores by Indian Wicket keepers. The top two belong to Rishabh Pant. The highest is 114 by Pant against England at the Oval followed by the 97 today. Pant is the only centurion in this list.
5. Since 2003 this is the first time India has batted more than 100 overs in the 4th innings of a test match.
6. Rahane is still undefeated as a test captain.
7. Ashwin and Vihari batted for 289 balls and had a 62 run partnership to save the test match.