Celebrities epitomise the fantasy standard of living. Often we tend to think, the celebrity’s life is – utopia. However mental illness can make anyone feel very lonely and isolated. In India, mental illness has one of the strongest stigmas around it to this day. Not very often people indulge in discussing this. Despite that, few celebrities have spelt their battle with the mental illness. Here are 6 famous Indian celebrities who suffered from mental illness :
- Manisha Koirala -The beautiful actress who made the 90s youngsters’ heart skip a beat suffered from clinical depression due to her marital life.
- Ileana D’Cruz – The prominent actress who played the role of Riya in Naban along with the actor Vijay, agreed that she was slaved away by Body Dysmorphic Disorder – she obsessively focused on the flaws in the appearance.
- Shahrukh Khan – With the aid of recovering his shoulder surgery in 2010, the actor battled with depression
- Deepika Padukone – In 2015, in a TV show, the actress spoke about her depression and how she misled herself thinking it was work related stress, which eventually led to decline in her concentration span.
- Yo Yo Honey Singh – In 2016, he was diagnosed with bipolar disease. He said, “for someone who has performed in front of a crowd of 20,000, I was scared of facing 4-5 people. And that’s what bipolar disorder does to you.”
- Anushka Sharma – In a tweet, the actress voiced about her anxiety issues. And she publicized about mental health.
PS: If you are someone who is struggling from any kind of mental illness, feel free to check out this article and seek help- https://news.mokkaengineer.com/2020/12/09/depression-a-self-help-guide/ When celebrities voice out about their mental health it normalizes the social stigma dealing with this subject and to some extent, it helps people to talk about their inner battles. So don’t be ashamed to speak about it.